Tuesday 3 March 2015

Evaluation question 3: What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

I think my magazine would be distributed by someone such as Time Inc UK (formerly IPC Media) or Bauer. I feel this would be because magazines such as NME, which was my main inspiration for my media product, is distributed by IPC Media yet I feel as if they wouldn't possibly want to distribute another magazine of this type as they already have two music magazines within this type of genre.


So, I think I would most likely want my media product being distributed by Bauer Media. This is because I feel like they would most be interested in distributing a product within the indie rock genre as they have more different music genre magazines than IPC Media distributes. Even though they distribute Mojo and Kerrang!, those magazines deal more heavily with rock/alternative music than my product does, making it different and a new idea.
With having a distributor and producer such as Bauer Media, my product will be directed at more of a mass audience than it would if my product was distributed by an independent publishing company such as TeamRock. Bauer Media directs more at a mass audience because it also produces products such as Heat, Q and Yours. Being directed at a mass audience, I can expect to sell more of my products. Also, as Bauer Media sells to more a mass audience, I can expect for it to reach my target audience easily as Bauer Media already sells to that audience, making it very accessible for them.
However, Bauer Media also produces quite niche and artistic magazines such as Empire, Practical Photography, and even Bird Watching.

This wide range of magazine types shows to me that they care and cater for the different interests of their customers, which I enjoy the ideology of. I would enjoy knowing that the distributor of my product cares about their customers and caters to their needs and interests.
The wide range of magazine types also shows Bauer Media's wide range of customers. This indicates to me that there could be people who are looking for an indie rock magazine, and Bauer Media would be more willing to distribute a magazine of my type as they already know they have a wide range of customers.

I think that I will make my product available for people to purchase in stores and also on their iPad or iPhone/Android. I will allow them to purchase it on their tablets/phones as the audience that I have directed my product at use their phone/tablets quite a lot. This will allow them to easily access my product as they will be able to go onto their phone and easily go and read the magazine. However, I am selling it in stores as well, because some of the audience might be older and would want to have a physical copy, or they might not understand how to purchase it online.

No comments:

Post a Comment