Tuesday 3 March 2015

Evaluation question 2: How does my media product represent particular social groups?


Obviously a genre is not a social group, yet I feel like in this modern time, people can portray a certain type of 'music genre' with what they wear and so forth. In that way, I aimed to have my media product portray this genre as a style throughout my magazine. As the genre of my media product was indie/rock, I created it in a way that would appeal to a range of fans. I did this by including artists from different sub-genres of the indie rock genre. As my most listened to genre of music, I generally stuck with the main genre of indie rock. I chose this because a lot of popular magazines are of this genre, such as NME, Indie, and sometimes Q magazine. I felt like there wasn't a magazine that was within the indie/rock genre that was for the age/social groups that I am (young adults and students).
To come up with what the artist on the cover would be wearing, I looked at what they wore within that genre for men, and also what the men in that particular social group wore.
I have highlighted the tartan shirt, which is what my subject wore in the main photo. A lot of them also wore hats/beanies, which is something that my subject wears in some of the photos.


I have also chosen for my subject to have his whole torso on show in the image. The photos above show how indie artists (Alex Turner, Ed Sheeran and Ezra Koeing) all have photos in this similar style. This will further help to represent this genre as my artist looks similar to these.

I have stereotyped the artists included within my genre somewhat. I did this by including the big 'indie' artists such as Arctic Monkeys, Black Keys and The Vaccines. I did this as it would appeal to my target audience more if I used the 'stereotypical indie bands'. I did this because they are more well known within that genre and are what people think about when asked about the 'indie rock' genre. 




No comments:

Post a Comment